Wednesday, September 5, 2012

All Hail Pizza Margherita

This pizza was first made in 1889 in Naples Italy for the Queen Margherita whom had come to visit.  The white cheese, red tomatoes and green basil were added as toppings to represent the three colors of the Italian flag.  Since then this very simple delicious pizza has been referred to as the Margherita pizza.

I didn't know anything of this type of pizza with no red sauce and no meat until the mid 2000's when my sister Katie took me to a pizza place in Galveston and insisted I had to try it.  I have been a loyal fan every since.  It wasn't until a couple years later I would even try to replicate this wonderful pizza.  If you have not had the pleasure in devouring several slices of this please follow the recipe below to get your mind blown.

I usually make my crust with whole wheat flour, I opted out of that and went with traditional bread flour today.  The results were lighter and a bit more airy than my usual crust.  I must say though it was wonderful.    

By the way this is a yeast crust.  If you have never worked with yeast get over your fear of doing so and jump right in.  It is intimidating thinking you may get the water too hot and kill the yeast or not get it warm enough and not get it activated.  Its really just a matter of being able to take a chance and getting your feet wet!  So turn up your Siriusly Sinatra station and let's get going!


Turn your oven up to 425 degrees

1 cup of warm water (turn the hot water faucet on the sink and wait until the water begins to warm count to 3 Mississippi and then start to fill the measuring cup)  I have done this routine since college and it never fails to get the yeast going.

Add .25 ounce packet of dry active yeast with 1 Tb sugar.  Give it a quick stir and set aside for ten minutes.


The yeast it's alive!  If your yeast unfortunately does not look like this picture on the right your water was either too cold or too hot.  Don't give up though rinse out the cup and try it again.  About 3 minutes into the yeast and water contact you will notice the yeast starts going off like fire crackers in the glass.  If you do not witness this change your yeast probably won't get activated.


While my yeast is getting all crazy I grab a bowl big enough to hold 2 1/4 cups of bread flour.  As I mentioned before you can substitute whole wheat flour for this as well.  Add 1 tsp of salt and for a bit more added flavor I add a couple shakes of Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp rosemary.  This gives the crust a touch more flavor and character.

Mix your flour into the yeast water plus 3 TB of olive oil and stir.  Once you mixture resembles the picture below I put on my kneading dough hooks on my hand mixer and get to mixing.   If you feel as though it will never loose the dry look add 1 tsp of olive oil at a time until smooth consistency is reached.





After all this time with no pizza pan I finally bought a cheap one from the supermarket today!  Don't judge me.  Usually I would go all out on a stone one or something but today, today this was just what I wanted.  Go ahead and dust it with some corn meal.  This is really one of my favorite things about pizza.  If you are not a corn meal on the crust type of person then don't use it.  Also my pan visibly has holes in the bottom of it.  This means more air comes in direct contact and dries the crust more.  Meaning a crisper crust.  Just to ensure you don't make a mess place a towel or cutting board underneath.      

Now for the fun part.  I don't toss my pizza dough, I don't really know how or care to know so I place it on the pan start in the middle working it out until I have reached the dough to the width of the pan on all sides.  Once this is done I set it aside to let it rest and I start gathering ingredients for my toppings.  


 Since this is a Margherita pizza I am going to do a basil infused olive oil.  It is made by blanching basil in hot water, then shocking it in ice water to stop the cooking but make it hold that beautiful bright green color.  Instead of completely submerging the basil in a boiling pot of water I use a less treacherous tactic.  I steam 1/2 cup of it.  You will not believe how good your kitchen smells when you are doing this.  Seems less harsh also.  Instead of dunking it a ice bath I also just throw a few ice cubes on top and rinse off with cold water.    Place in a blender with 1/2 cup of olive oil a little salt and pepper and there you have it basil infused olive oil.  





Its time to start prepping the toppings for your pizza so go ahead and shred your cheese, cut your tomatoes and slice a few extra fresh leaves of basil.  I start off by drizzling the basil oil on the bottom of the crust determining how thick I want my outer crust to be.  I then do a layer of cheese followed by ripe tomatoes, a few extra grates of cheese then sprinkle fresh basil on top.  Melt 2 Tb of butter and 1 Tb of garlic in microwave then brush the outer crust.  Place in 425 degree oven for 17-20 minutes or until its as brown and bubbly as you want it.



 Once you pull it from the oven get your pizza cutter, slice it up into 8 pieces and get to eating.  This is a wonderful recipe that is easy to make and taste better than any pizza place in town.  The golden brown crust is crisp on the outside with a slight chew on the inside.  The aroma from the garlic butter will make your mouth water!  If you have never had a pizza with out red sauce give this pizza a try.  It has a clean fresh taste that won't leave you feeling guilty.  It is completely versatile as well.  Add anything you want to it.  John would prefer some meat on it but I grilled him a steak for the side.  At the end of the day I can honestly say I have never met a pizza I didn't like.  I mean come on its pizza!









Pizza Crust:
Add:
.25 ounces of dry active yeast
1 Tb sugar
To 1 cup of warm water
Let set 5-10 minutes until it's alive!

While the yeats is getting busy measure out 2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
a few dashes of italian seasoning
and 1/2 tsp rosemary

mix your wet and dry ingredients together
 add 3 TB of olive oil
*you may need more if you are being left with a dry looking dough
mix until a smooth dough is acquired

Cornmeal (optional) for the pan

Basil Infused Olive Oil:
1/2 cup balanched fresh basil
1/2 cup olive oil

Blend in blender

Use s&p to taste

Pizza Toppings:
Fresh sliced roma tomatoes
2 cups mozarella cheese
fresh basil

2 TB butter
1 TB minced garlic
Microwave and brush on the crust as well as drizzled over pizza 

Bake at 425 for 17- 20 minutes





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio