Saturday, September 1, 2012

BBQ Pork Ribs

Labor day weekend.  Last chance to BBQ before the season is over.  I myself am not a grill master.  Over the years however I have had the chance to eat a lot of awesome BBQ cooked by non other, my Dad.  As I sit at the table ready to dig in to BBQ chicken, steaks, hamburgers or baby back ribs I always set still enough to hear how he cooked them low and slow.  We kinda live in a John Wayne world out in the country.  Like I said the grill and I haven't even met until this summer never have I ever even put anything on a grill.  I have officially mastered steaks and am now proud to add BBQ ribs on that list.  If you don't have big plans this weekend but are wanting to take advantage of the beautiful weather or just the BBQ these ribs are something you can enjoy cooking on the grill or even in the oven.

I used pork ribs and for no particular reason other than I had already made a beef brisket.  I start by cutting them in half just so I can fit them in the same ziplock bag.  I had half a bottle of Stubbs BBQ marinade in the fridge so I dumped that in as well.  My family and I have never been to big on marinades.  Never enough planning and always to hungry to wait!  This marinade process is not necessary to successfully BBQ your ribs.  My dads secret ingredient, some good ole salt and pepper.  I even made a rub for this I was surprised.  I guess just to try something new cause I too am a salt and pepper kinda girl.

First have two sheets of foil placed on a table and place the ribs on it.  My rub consist of 1/2 packed dark brown sugar, 1TB: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary, and 1 tsp cyan
and paprika.  generously sprinkle and rub all over the ribs.  Once seasoned on both sides leave the curve of the ribs facing up.  In the picture to the right mine are on the wrong side just FYI!!  Flip them over!  Fold both ends of the foil onto the ribs then pull the remainder two flaps of the foil up together then roll down.


You are going to want to be sure your grill is clean so nothing catches on fire.  Then set to the lowest heat option your grill provides.   Place the ribs rolled foil side down.  You want your bones to be closest to the fire to avoid over cooking the meat also the warmed cooked bone helps the meat release from it later.  If you do not get your bones cooked long enough your meat will not release from the bone.

After 1 1/2 hours remove ribs from the foil and place directly on grill.  At this time you can baste the meat with a BBQ or leave plain jane.  The rub mixture has enough kick and flavor that no BBQ is necessary.  I am just a sauce lover =)  Continue to cook 7-10 more minutes.  Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes.  Be sure to watch between the bones when you are cutting them up!  They can be tricky!




   

These ribs are moist, tender and delicious on top of super easy.  If you are intimidated by the grill use the same procedure just place in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours.  No one is going to regret making these ribs.  This recipe is alas my farewell to summer!  Don't let the door hit cha on the way out!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio