Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lets Stock For Fall!

School is back in session, football season has officially started and you can feel a slight chill in the breeze.   You know what that means?  Fall has officially started to move in.  We are two weeks away from being sane enough to start taking down those summer decorations and putting out those fall wreaths and candles.  Fall is my favorite time of year.  I find nothing more comforting than the smell of a spicy pumpkin pie baking in the oven and a football game playing in the background.   When I am home I tend to find myself in the kitchen baking most of the time.   There is a little bit of preparation that goes into getting ready for your fall baking though.  I have been trained for 27 years by my Mother on how to stock up my pantry for the oncoming fall and winter months.  Today though I am only going to touch base on fall baking must haves!


Here are a few of the fresh fall produce I love to use when baking.  Some I purchase several days before using and *others I purchase the day of baking to insure quality.


Fresh Figs

Apples
Cranberries - You can purchase fresh ones & freeze or go for the already frozen, also some dried.
Raisins
Fresh Pumpkin (they last all season with out going bad so purchase this and use for decor until you are ready to use it!)
Rhubarb - Fresh or frozen
*Pears
*Figs - Fresh and preserves
*Pomegranates




Rhubarb
I find that apples are the most sustainable fruit when it comes to living in a fruit bowl.  Others are not so tuff.  I tend to find my pears go from unripe to over ripened over night.  Same with pomegranates they will be bright and beautiful then the next day they have dissipated into a shriveled mess.  If you somehow have a wonderful relationship with your produce and it keeps well for you by all means purchase when you see necessary.  

Canned items such as pumpkin puree are lifesavers as well as some of the fruit pie fillings.  Although I will be sharing my own fresh fruit compote recipes not everyone has time to go all out homemade.  I understand that.






Now on to what makes those items listed above so amazing this time of year.  The spices!
Cinnamon Sticks

*cinnamon
*ginger
*whole and or ground cloves (essential ground)
*nutmeg - whole and ground (essential ground)
cinnamon sticks
cardamom
all spice
pumpkin spice




I use each and everyone of these through out the season.  Some I will add to a boiling pot just to make the house smell amazing and others add that wow what is in this?! reaction.  If you are on a budget stick to the *essentials.


Whole Nutmeg


For the basics you will need to have:

flour - I keep both AP and whole wheat flour
eggs
granulated and confectioners (powder) sugar
buttermilk
whole milk
sourcream
cream cheese
butter - unsalted
salt
baking soda & powder








As you can see fall baking is a comfort.  Simple things such as fresh fruits and spices will make any house smell like a home.    I hope you all join me as I start baking mile high apple pie, spicy pumpkin pie, fig tarts, rhubarb cobbler, spiced peaches and so much more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio