Friday, September 28, 2012

Cheesy Chile Enchiladas


It was a wonderful first day of fall.  I got up early that morning made apple fritters and drank a hot cup pumpkin spiced joe on the back porch with the hound dog.  It was quiet and quaint and the best part the hubs was about to make his way home!!  The previous night my sister Katie stopped by the house to drop off some fresh roasted hot hatch peppers.  Have I mentioned we are still devouring those suckers!  While I sit there drinking my coffee and eating my hot apple fritter a previous suttle comment of "make us something for dinner with those chiles we brought you" came to my mind.  I brought the idea to Johns attention an asked what I should make.  He suggested enchiladas.  Immediately all these ideas of something hot, spicy, cheesy, chiles with white sauce began to flood my mind.  I went to the store and bought enough to make a meal big enough to feed an army.  Of course my phone rings as I am carrying in my last load of groceries.  I answer it and sure enough they called him out on another job and John wasn't going to get to come home.  I let him know that I would still be making the chile enchiladas and his only request was to save some for him.





I start out by adding 1/4 cup olive oil to a pan turn up the heat to medium and begin adding your spices.  I added 1 TB of each cyan pepper,  diced garlic,  salt, pepper, & red pepper flakes.  I cook in the oil just until they start to dance then I add in a lot of chiles!!








I used close to 1 pound of chiles.  Once those have you coughing over the fire then add in your meat.  I actually cooked almost 2 1/2 pounds of beef for these enchiladas.  You probably want to use less if you are not feeding the entire block.





Cook your meat until its completely browned.  If you notice a lot of juice at the bottom of the pan I like to add 1 TB of flour and stir it in.  It will tighten that flavor to where you do not have to pour it out.  



While your meat is browning I go ahead and cook my tortillas.  30 to be exact.  I ended up making 24 enchiladas, and 6 of the tortillas were placed on the bottom of my baking dish to ensure nothing would get stuck to the bottom of the pan!  You can cook the white corn tortillas by adding 1 TB of oil to a pan over medium high heat and cooking for about 10 seconds on each side.  This is not really cooking it is just to loosen the tortillas so when you begin to roll them they do not break and tear.  It is very frustrating when that happens and you will probably swear you will never make them again.  Then you find yourself in the kitchen weeks later giving it another go.  True story.


Once you are done with the tortillas, we move on to the white sauce.  You can call it white sauce, sour cream sauce......Uh creamy white sauce whatever.  All I can say is it is nothing like the red sauce!  I usually slather sour cream all over mine as well but this sauce adds just enough of that creamy goodness that it's not needed!

Blanco Sauce

Melt:
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup flour

Add & Bring to boil:
32 oz chicken stock

Stir in:
16 oz sour cream
2 cups chiles


Add about a cup of the sauce to the bottom of the pan and begin rolling your enchiladas with about 2 TB of meat per tortilla.  I place the flap of the tortilla on the side to where it hugs the pan and doesn't come unrolled.  Once your pan is full pour as much as the sauce over the meat and tortillas.  I suggest most of it cause you do not want yours to turn out dry!!!   Finish by adding 3 cups of Monterey jack cheese to the top and baking at 350 for 30 minutes then 450 for an additional 10.


When everyone gathers at the dinner table for this meal there will be no sad faces.  The spice is enough to make your mouth water and the cheese is ooey gooey with every bite.



To finish my story from earlier.  John made it home in time for lunch the next day.  To his surprise we left him half the whole pan of enchiladas.  He lived happily ever after  =)


The End.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio