Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad


The first time I ever had this meal was in Galveston Texas at Yagas Cafe, thanks Mike.  It was my first job I had got when I moved down there to go to culinary school.  I put off from ordering the fiesta salad on my lunch breaks because for some reason it didn't appeal to me.  Well the day finally came when I was so tired of all the other menu items I threw the towel in and though what the heck!  To my surprise it was the most flavorful, tangy, fresh salad I had ever eaten.  I was immediately hooked I kid you not.  I was eating it with chicken, with out chicken, even in burritos.  The other menu items from that day forward were none existent because nothing could compare.  So if that story doesn't have you convinced you have to make this I am sorry for your stubbornness.  It is your loss though!!  

This is something I like to make a day in advanced cause the longer the veggies get to soak in the rice vinegar the better!  If you are having to serve the day of that will do as well.  It can be served with chicken or vegetarian style and one is just as good as the other.  

For the Chicken style fiesta salad butterfly 3 boneless skinless chicken breast.  Season with S&P and other spices of choice.  I used kickin chicken =)  Grill to the utmost perfection and you should be good to go!

 


While the chicken is grilling away or even if you opted out of eating chicken wash all of your veggies and get ready to slice and dice.  You will be cutting one of each green, orange, red and yellow bell pepper, 1/2 purple onion, 3 jalapeños and 1 bunch of cilantro.  Once everything is uniform place in bowl and season with S&P and 1/4-1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar.  I use 1/2 cup but that may be to acidic for some.  I could drink that stuff outta the bottle honestly!  
For the sides you can serve with black beans which I do prefer as well as spanish rice.  Something about the extra fiber and starch just gets you fuller.  This is a very light dish tons of crunch, bold & fresh flavor that leaves you not feeling guilty.   So on that I bid you a fare well sweet summer until we meet again.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio