Saturday, September 22, 2012

Apple Fritters

Welcome to the first day of fall!!  The wait is over and it is finally here.  Along with the stocked grocery shelves of pumpkin spice coffee, apple cider, fall candles and anything that screams cold weather.  I had in mind a few days ago to make these for today that I could barely wait.  Knowing this morning that when I awoke I was going to get to make these little bits of heaven had me almost to excited to sleep!    Although I would love to say these are five minute fritters they are in fact not.  There is actually no five minute fritter just FYI!!  Sounds appealing though!  From start to finish you are looking at about 30-45 minutes with clean up.  In reality thats not too bad!  An completely worth every minute.

I placed four cups of olive oil in a sauce pan on medium heat.  It heated up the entire time I was preparing batter...

Apple Fritters:

Mix Together:
1 Cup of AP Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 TB Cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp baking powder

Mix together:
1/2 Cup milk
1 Extra large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 TB Melted butter

2 Peeled and diced apples (of your choice)







Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.  Mix just until the flour disappears.   Once the flour is no longer visible add 2 peeled and diced apples and fold in.  The juices from the apples will loosen the batter a bit if you think yours may be just a touch too dry.  

Once your oil is hot enough spoon about 1 Tb of batter into hot oil.  I could fit 7 comfortably in one batch.  Do not place too many in the pan at a time because it will take longer to brown and you will chance combining all the pieces and making a huge mess.















Once golden brown about 2-3 minutes, place on napkin to absorb the oil.


Icing:
3 Cups powder sugar
1/2 cup milk 

Mix until all powder sugar bits are dissolved.

Dip each bite into icing with your own fingers and place on a rack with a pan underneath to dry.



Once the icing is set you can handle them mess free with your hands.  Too easy not to try especially if you enjoy the flavors if fall.  This recipe as well is completely versatile.  Don't like apples but you want something fall then substitute the apples with 1/2 pumpkin puree.  It is really that simple.

I however love apples and decided to have Dunkin' Donuts pumpkin spice coffee on the side.  Yes I am that classy.  I am not impressed with homemade pumpkin spice lattes.  Plus pumpkin spice coffee is a treat.  It is seasonal.  I do not like knowing I am capable of making a fall treat through out the year for myself.  Takes all the simple pleasure of fall away.    


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio